A colourful week….
Well, I certainly didn’t intent to go for a whole week without posting (sorry!) but time has been slipping through my fingers recently. I’ve got quite a few projects on the go – preparing for the craft fair, developing some designs for sale, working on some commissions – so there hasn’t been much time for playing on the interweb!
Anyhow, I’ve also been doing plenty of dyeing and thought you might like to take a peek…..
The oranges are from sorghum. I’m not sure how well it shows up in the photo, but after dyeing I soaked one skein in a weak alkaline solution (soapy water) and the other in a slightly acidic bath (lemon juice) to alter the shades slightly.
The alkaline seemed to bring out the pinker tones (bottom), whilst the acid made the colour brighter and more clear (top). I also used the dyebath exhaust to get a paler, more pinky shade (far right in photo below).
The yellow skein was dyed with kamala extract. I love the lemony colour it gives but plan on switching to weld, broom and coreopsis for yellows as these can be grown in the UK whereas Kamala cannot.
Finally I used some walnut hulls to get browns and tans. I soaked the chopped hulls for 3 weeks prior to dyeing. The dark brown skeins came from the first dyebath and had been previously mordanted with alum. For the paler tan shades I used unmordanted wool in the dyebath exhaust to which I had added a small amount of powdered oak galls.
Well, I hope you enjoyed this little burst of (natural) colour. I’ll try to be a better blogger from now on!