Hello folks! I hope you don’t mind but I’d like to share some recent spinnings with you….
First off, I’ve finally got round to plying my onion dyed yarn. It had been sitting on the spindle for ages – forgotten in all the excitement caused by the arrival of my wheel. I couldn’t abandon it completely though as the colour is just so beautiful. Its spun from pure shetland wool and is soft and lofty – just as it should be! There’s not a huge amount though – a mere 77 metres – but I do have more left on the spindle, should I need it. I’m thinking of making a lacy headscarf with it and hope to start playing around with stitch patterns over the weekend (well, as soon as I can tear myself away from my wheel….)
Next up we have my first wheel spun yarn – yay! As I wasn’t expecting anything great from my first attempt I just used some scraps of cheap (and not very nice) merino. The resulting yarn isn’t great but it is useable, which is better than I was expecting for my first go. I also learnt a lot about my wheel as I was making it which was, after all, the purpose of the exercise! The main difficulty I had was judging how much twist to put in – in places the yarn has far too much twist which makes it feel hard rather than soft and squishy. As I went on though, I got better at judging this and found it much easier when I moved onto my next project…
This time the yarn was nice and soft. It’s spun from a merino and silk blend and the silk gives it a really nice sheen. From a distance the yarn looks a solid colour but it’s actually made up of various shades of blue and purple – an effect I love. Again, it wasn’t without it’s problems – I found it much harder to achieve a balanced yarn on the wheel (for non-spinners: a balanced yarn is one with equal amount of clockwise and anti-clockwise twist) which is why the yarn is a bit wild…
Still, a quick dunk in some warm water and being left to dry under tension should tame it and overall I’m very happy with it. It’s nice and fine (26 WPI) and there’s a whopping 371 metres of it so I should have enough for a small project.
So… that’s what I’ve been up to! Thanks for taking a look.