Skip to content

‘Desperate Measures’ Gin

September 7, 2008

My plan for today was to go blackberrying then make up my annual batch of blackberry gin. When we foraged for blackberries last time, there were plenty of almost ripe berries that I’d earmarked for just such a purpose. Sadly, however, it was not to be. The heavy rain we’ve been forced to endure recently, really hasn’t done the berries any good and we found bramble after bramble laden with mouldering berries. Such a shame – not even the birds wanted them! Anyhow, after our rather dismal blackberry hunt, we returned home with a bag of berries and I tentatively got out my kitchen scales. I needed 900g of berries but all we’d managed to find was a measly 350g – no where near enough to make my usual gin recipe. I grumpily wondered what on earth I was going to do with a litre of cheap gin (I’m not a great fan of gin as it is) but then I caught sight of my fruit bowl and had an idea. That idea was ‘apples’ – after all, blackberries and apples work well together in so many things, why not gin? I grabbed the apples, peeled and cut them into chunks and added them to the scales. Still not enough fruit. Humph. Then, in a flash of inspiration, I remembered that I had some raspberries in the freezer so onto the scales they went too and finally I had enough fruit! My next dilema was ‘how much sugar?’ Should I use more or less than I normally use in the blackberry gin. As the apples were dessert apples, and supposedly sweet, I decided to reduce the amount of sugar a little. I have no idea how it will taste. I don’t know if it’ll be too sweet or too sour. I don’t know if it’ll even be drinkable! (Update: it’s actually quite good! Read more here). However, if any brave souls wish to try making a similar batch, here is my recipe:

Desperate Measures Fruity Gin

300g blackberries

300g raspberries

250g apples, peeled and cut into cubes

450g granulated sugar

approx. 900ml gin

Put the fruit in a large 2 litre kilner jar. Add the sugar then pour over the gin. Seal then give a good shake. Leave for 8 – 10 weeks in a cool dark place, shaking every now and again to make sure the sugar dissolves. After that, strain the mixture through a piece of muslin and squeeze out as much juice as you can. Decant into bottles. Label and leave for at least a year. You can have an occasional taste to check on how it’s maturing though.

When I have my first tasting in 10 weeks time, I’ll be sure to post my findings!

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: